Sunday, July 1, 2007

Seamus on you, Mitt! Romney dogged by cruelty charge

I really don't have a whole lot to add to the growing controversy over Mitt Romney's pet husbandry. I just wanted to use the story as an excuse to run this headline.

I was talking to my brother about this a couple of nights ago. His take on the story (and I'm paraphrasing): "Everyone's getting fired up about a 25-year-old story about Romney's dog. Why isn't anyone bothered by the fact that he's nothing but a power-hungry stuffed shirt."

I suggested that the story is the kind of thing that could tip people off to just that. Romney is the kind of guy that is so driven by efficiency, he would put his dog on the roof of his car to save space without once thinking "Oh my God, there is a dog on my roof!" David Kravitz at Blue Mass Group said it better:
I can say with certainty that strapping your dog to the roof of the car for a 12-hour drive, windshield or no windshield, is, well, nuts. It also strikes me as classic Romney: it solves a problem efficiently, in a business-like manner, and with no regard whatsoever for the suffering that the solution may cause...

Romney's utter obliviousness to the suffering of his dog and his corresponding enthusiasm for torturing detainees are indeed unsettling. As someone who knows Romney well once said to me, "ice runs in those veins."
Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER