Thursday, December 14, 2006

Can we put the Red Sox away now?

I'm as happy as any other Red Sox fan that the team has gone out and signed one of the best pitchers in the world.

But can we please get on with the rest of our lives, at least until Spring Training begins?

I'm tired of being pounded over the head with Red Sox! Red Sox! Red Sox! every last minute of every day. I want to be able to turn on the news and not have Randy Price or Jack Williams or Natalie Jacobsen talking about the Red Sox. I want to be able to pick up a newspaper and not have every last story on the Sports page be about the Red Sox. I want to watch a Bruins game and not have Red Sox talk during every intermission, Red Sox news at the bottom of the screen every 15 minutes, and Red Sox players dropping the puck before the game.

Thing is, I love the Red Sox. I love lasagna too, but if I had Dr. Charles Steinberg and Larry Lucchino forcing lasagna down my throat every minute of every day, I'd eventually get sick of it. And I've about reached the point where I'd do anything to stop having the Red Sox force fed down my throat.

I can appreciate a little good marketing here or there, but what the Sox have been doing since John Henry bought the team has gone past marketing and is more like carpet bombing. For five off seasons now, from the never-ending highly public attempt to trade for Alex Rodriguez, to the never-ending highly public attempts every offseason to trade Manny Ramirez, to the smear campaigns waged against Nomar Garciaparra after he left, to holding a freaking press conference after Johnny Damon left, to dragging the groupies out to Hanscom Field to make it look like the pope himself was landing yesterday, it's all been about publicity.

Well, I'm tired. Please, let me enjoy the season. And then, when the season is over, let me recharge my batteries so I can root for you again. You wouldn't ask your players to go at full intensity all offseason, for fear that they would burnout. Don't ask it of your fans either.

Some of us are just about there.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER