Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hot Dogs on your head and Democrats on my mind

It's been an unusually busy and stressful week here in the drumlin-free zone, so I haven't had the time to keep up with posting. Plus, I'm still experiencing a sort-of post-election hangover. But there were a couple of things that caught my attention...
  • Last Saturday I attended a Veteran's Day ceremony at a local nursing home. The entertainment was a guy wearing a foam hot dog on his head playing patriotic music on a synthesizer. Not quite what I was expecting.
  • The state legislature took the cowardly way out by not voting on the gay marriage amendment. I may expound on this in a later post (I may not), but I'm bothered by the idea that the legislature can circumvent a constitutional process through a procedural trick. It seems to me that if that is allowed to stand, it makes the legislature an extra-constitutional body, with the power to supersede the law of the land with Robert's Rules of Order.
  • I've had a hard time getting worked up over the leadership elections in the House of Representatives. I keep reading that the defeat of Rep. John Murtha is supposed to be some sort of rebuke of speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi's leadership, but I just don't see it as a big deal. Murtha has too long a history of scandal and pork in his past, and I'd rather be talking about a supposed split among Democrats than an ethically-challenged leadership team.
  • Please please please run for president, Bob Dornan. One of the great things about a presidential campaign is the parade of wacky candidates that are just close enough to the mainstream that they get media attention and provide endless entertainment for the better part of a year. I can't think of a better fringe candidate than you, Rep. Dornan.
  • I can't believe the Bruins have won three games in a row. Bet you didn't know that, did ya?

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER