Saturday, March 24, 2007

Thanks for nothing, Home Depot

Well OK, thanks for the new gas stove. But the least you could have done is told me that I would need a licensed plumber or pipe-fitter to install it...

We bought a new stove last week from Home Depot in Leominster. The stove that was here when we bought the house was ancient, and we knew that we were going to have to replace it sooner rather than later. We knew that one burner didn't work, but seeing the flames shooting out of another was enough to convince us to get a new one now. It was delivered by Home Depot Friday.

So I get home from work last night and pull out the instructions...and right at the top is this message:
Customers from Massachusetts
State law requires that your new stove be installed by a licensed pipe-fitter or plumber...
Whatever. I figured I'd just do it myself...until I saw the rest of the instructions, then I decided I'd rather not be responsible for blowing up my house.

I quickly became angry at Home Depot. When we bought the thing, I asked the clerk if Home Depot would install it when they delivered it, and she said they would not. Would it be too much for her to also tell me that the law requires I get a professional to install it? If I'd known that, we'd have scheduled someone to come in Friday afternoon to install it. Now I've got to wait until Monday just to call someone; hopefully we'll find someone who can come out immediately.

In the meantime, we eat out.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER