Friday, January 5, 2007

Doing pennants

pennant1

Reading the UniWatch blog this evening and I came across this note regarding old pennants with photos:
Cool note from Byron Wages, who writes: "I was going through some of my dad's old stuff, and I came across a 1969 Atlanta Braves pennant with an actual team photo in it. My dad, being seven years old at the time, wrote out some of the players' names, as you can see. I've never seen a pennant like this before." Neither have I -- anyone else? (And for good measure, Wages sent this photo too.) …

pennant2Why in fact I have seen one like it. In fact I have one in my basement. I found this pennant about 20 years ago at a flea market in Newfane, Vt. and bought it for $10. As you can see, instead of hermetically sealing it somewhere to protect it's value--I assume it's fairly rare--I have it tacked on the wall along with my other '70s era pennants (and a Patriots Super Bowl pennant from 2002). What's the point in hiding it?

After a little work, I determined that the photo was of the 1972 Stanley Cup Champions (as opposed to the 1970 victors). As if the front of the pennant weren't cool enough, the back of the photo is marked "Twins Enterprises" with the address and phone number of the famous souvenir store across the street from Fenway Park.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER