Monday, August 28, 2006

Something's been bugging me...

So, I go to cook supper last night, and for some reason, I decided to look in the bottom of the box of pasta that I had just poured into the water. Don't know why, perhaps I was looking to see if there was a rotini or two left in the bottom of the box. Anyway, I didn't find any more rotini, but I did find a couple of these guys crawling around the bottom of the box (note, they're not as big as pictured, they are about the size of a grain of rice.)

Well, that was pretty yucky, so I went to dump out the water and pasta that I had started to cook and I learned something: these suckers float. There were four or five of them that had made it into the pot and were bobbing around the boiling water.

So I moved to plan B, which was to check another box of pasta (this time penne) and found a couple of more. Finally, I grabbed our last unopened box of pasta (spaghetti) and sifted through it. Finding it acceptable, I boiled another pot of water and dumped the pasta in. While I was cleaning up after myself, I found one more bug crawling on the plate I'd just used to check the spaghetti. So another pound of pasta to the trash. Eventually, we ended up cooking ravioli since it had been frozen and theoretically not susceptible to an infestation. It was fine.

I spent the rest of the night with phantom itchiness.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER