Friday, August 11, 2006

The end of a Patriots' dynasty

Based on tonight's performance, I've come to the conclusion that we are at the end of a Patriots' dynasty.

No, no, not the team on the field; I'm sure that they will end up competing for a spot in another Super Bowl. I'm talking about Gil and Gino. I got to hear about 15 minutes of them tonight, and I was saddened to realize that their time has come.

Gil could not get a handle on even the basics. He struggled to spot the ball correctly, was puzzled over why the officials were huddling (he eventually spotted a flag), incorrectly explained the options available to the Patriots when the penalty was being marked off, and misidentified players. Gino was no better, struggling to find a way to explain the action on the field. His voice also sounded weak and old. At least Gil sounded good, even if he wasn't sharp.

I love these guys, Gil especially. Gil is a legend. He may have the best radio voice I've ever heard (although Vin Scully is pretty awesome too). His call of the Patriots' first Super Bowl win will be one of my all-time great sports memories. He will always hold a special place in my memory.

Unfortunately, he and Gino have become Statler and Waldorf without the jokes.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER