Monday, August 14, 2006

Grand Theft Auto: Leominster

I usually roll my eyes when I hear someone complain that too much video games, movies, music, etc. end up corrupting our youth. I mean, I played a lot of Atari growing up, and other than being "husky" I think I turned out all right.

But I can't help but wonder where the kids in this mini-mob scene at Leominster High School got their ideas. Essentially, here's the story:

A 14-year-old freshman decides he's going to sneak out of school and break into an area home, making off with $23,000 in cash. He then goes back to school, and tries to pay a couple of seniors for "protection" since he's carrying thousands of dollars around school with him. The seniors come up with a better idea, and offer to sell the freshman some drugs. When the seniors meet the 14-year-old in the bathroom to make the transaction, they cut the lights and take $2,300 from the kid.

The story got me thinking about a few things...
  • What the hell is going on at Leominster High School, anyway?
  • Who cuts class, breaks into a house, steals $23,000 and then goes back to school?
  • And then, what freshman would ever trust three seniors with the knowledge that he had $23,000 stuffed in his backpack or locker? The kid has probably already got his share of purple nurples and wedgies, yet he tells these kids he's got thousands of dollars? And he wants to pay them for "protection?"
Forget about MCAS, someone needs to teach these kids a little common sense. Or that if you play Grand Theft Auto in the real world, you'll probably get into trouble.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER