Thursday, April 20, 2006

Shut it, Please.

He's a fine pitcher and all, and I'm glad he's off to a 4-0 start, but I wish Curt Schilling would keep his mouth shut.

Tampa Bay lefthander Scott Kazmir didn't care for comments Curt Schilling made this week on WEEI radio, when Boston's ace said the reason the Red Sox and Devil Rays have had numerous bench-clearing incidents is because of Kazmir ''hitting multiple batters every time he threw against us. I don't know if any of it was intentional, but he kept hitting players."

Kazmir, who will pitch the series finale tonight against Tim Wakefield, responded to Schilling's comments in today's St. Petersburg Times.

''I don't know why he would say that," said Kazmir. ''I never tried to hit anyone ever.

''What can you do? Why would I, of all people, get thrown into everything? I was looking at a video before of past things with the Red Sox and Devil Rays and they had all this other stuff before I was even in pro ball. And all of a sudden it's all because of me? OK.

''It was very surprising to hear that."

Schilling, who improved to 4-0 with last night's 9-1 win over the Devil Rays, went on to say in the radio interview, ''We made it clear to them, for the most part, that we were only throwing at guys on their team because their young pitchers couldn't throw inside. Obviously, he's getting better and he's learning. But you don't learn to pitch in the big leagues inside, you learn how to do that in the minor leagues. And you can't do that here because you get people hurt."

Kazmir responded, ''So, I guess I don't know how to pitch inside if I hit a guy or two? It doesn't make too much sense. It's his opinion. He wants to be heard."

It'll be interesting to see if Kasmir comes inside tonight or if he'll be afraid to. Something tells me someone will get plunked.

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER