Thursday, January 4, 2007

Patrick Inaugural: "...it's lunchtime in the city of Boston"

Random thoughts on the inaugural. Or more specifically, Channel 5's web cast of the event...
  • Ed Harding must be awfully short. Shorter than Gov. Dukakis.

  • Discussion about the bible Governor Patrick will use at his swearing in. Harding: Presented by the Mendi men to John Quincy Adams, comfort during imprisonment, etc. etc. Heather Unruh: "Wasn't the Bible also on the Amistad? Was Patrick a descendant of slaves?"

  • Oops. Open mic during commercial. Janet Wu can't hear anything but singing. "I can't hear Ed's questions or anything he says. Can't we turn down the singing? All I can here is this singing."

  • Back from commercial, Heather throws it to...a children's choir singing God Bless America. Take that Janet Wu!

  • Aw shucks, at the next commercial, they switched to a web cam of the statehouse with annoying static. I was hoping to hear what Janet Wu had to say about being smacked down.

  • Whew, I feel better about things. Heather just said that it's appropriate that a man from Worcester was elected Lt. Gov. because "that part of the state" deserves to be represented. Harding agreed, "after all, it's the second largest city in New England." My existence has been validated.

  • (by the way, a quick Google search has shown that as of the 2000 census, Providence has surpassed Worcester as the second largest city in New England.)

  • They should have brought Rene Rencourt out to sing the national anthem.

  • Ed wants to talk about "Deval Patrick time." He seems pissed that he has to shut up so we can hear the invocation.

  • I've never been a fan of political speeches thinly veiled as "prayer," and I'm not a fan of this invocation. Maybe I'm a little Puritanical about these things, but I prefer a humble blessing to a rousing high and mighty speech.

  • Heather: "The crowds are swelling...you can tell it's lunchtime in the city of Boston." Not quite "Morning in America," but it's something.

  • There is an older guy in the background mouthing the oath along with Governor Patrick. Does that mean he gets to be governor too?

  • I find it interesting that the clause of "Upholding the constitution of the United States" is almost an afterthought in the governor's oath.

  • Ed tells us that "Deval Patrick time" is four minutes ahead of schedule. I can understand why he's been trying to squeeze that nugget in. Probably the most important thought he's had all day.

  • Heather: "Is that a Red Sox bracelet on his wrist?" Ed: "It's a red bracelet." Heather: "It might have something to do with AIDS. I wish I knew..." The governor has AIDS? I wish I knew...

  • Ed just told us the bracelet is for Katrina relief. Forget Katrina relief, I'm just relieved the governor doesn't have AIDS.

  • I appreciate that Tim Murray refers to Jane Swift as "Governor Swift." Better than the Globe ever did.

  • I'm not going to lie, Tim Murray puts me to sleep. Seems like a good guy, and I appreciate that like me, he's from "that part of the state." But I just can't concentrate on what he's saying. He could be reciting the menu at Chopsticks for all I know.

  • Deval just implied that he is, in fact, a descendant of slaves.

  • "Let's rebuild this city on a hill...it's lunchtime in the city of Boston. God Bless the Commonwealth of Massachusetts." or something. I ended up spending most Governor Patrick's speech on the phone.

  • And finally, another song by the children's choir. Take that Janet Wu!

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER