Thursday, February 8, 2007

My first car

I came across an internet discussion about the first car the participants owned and it go me nostalgic for my first car: a 1977 four door Buick Electra Limited. Boy, was that some car.

That car could hum. And it was huge. It was nicknamed "The Love Boat." Unfortunately, that was more because of it's size and comfortable ride than the prowess of it's owner. (OK, it was completely because of it's size and comfortable ride.)

It had been my grandfather's car, but he bought a 1987 Buick Park Avenue and gave me his old car. Frankly, that was a mistake. Not only was the '87 model a poor excuse for a luxury automobile, but the older car would probably have survived a lot longer than it did had someone more responsible been driving it.

The photo here is of me and my car on my high school graduation weekend. While my sense of fashion was not timeless (although that's a pretty good Miami Vice look, considering that I never watched the show), the car certainly is. I'd love to buy another one and restore it, but it appears that it's something of a classic. The few that I've found on line are priced in the $5,000 range...an awful lot for a 30 year old car.

And thanks to the wonders of the internet, I have found that my car actually appeared in Miami Vice. Not this actual car, of course, but another 1977 Electra. Don't ask me why anyone would want to do this, but apparently there is a car version of IMDB, where all of the cars that have ever appeared in TV or movies are cataloged.

Now, I ask you. Isn't my outfit above a significant upgrade on what these two are wearing? Thankfully, I don't think I've ever worn anything like this.

This photo is significant for a couple of reasons. Not only is the beautiful Buick hogging the scene, but it is also the inspiration for decades of Richard Simmons' fashion.

Man, the 80s were great, eh?

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER