Friday, June 23, 2006

Remembering the Bridge Diner


Michael's Bridge Diner, the most popular breakfast spot in Lancaster, burned to the ground this morning, most likely the work of an arsonist who also destroyed a nearby Agway business.

It was a classic townie diner, where the same group of regulars would be there each day for breakfast . For a while, I would join my father for breakfast there on those occasions when I had to be in to school early. I must have been 13 or 14. After a couple of weeks of eating there nearly every morning, I felt like I was one of the regulars and when the cook asked me what I wanted, I asked for "the usual," which would have been scrambled eggs, home fries, and white toast. I ended up with over-easy and bacon. I guess two weeks wasn't quite long enough to have a usual.

I haven't eaten there in years, but I know a number of people who still go there (or went there) nearly every morning for breakfast. Losing the diner will be quite a blow to the town. News reports today suggested that the owner will rebuild. That would be a good thing for Lancaster.

The Telegram and Gazette posted an article on the fires this afternoon. News 4 New England, NewsCenter 5, and 7 News all have video. (Photo from the Telegram and Gazette).

Tags:
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment



 

No Drumlins Copyright © 2009 Premium Blogger Dashboard Designed by SAER